Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Christmas in May




At last week's artist-in-residence staff meeting we were given the gift of a wonderful bead donation. Boxes of loose beads along with beaded necklaces, earrings and bracelets. I brought my trusty side kick-"rolling case" I call it - & filled it with bags of beads. I spent the better part of the weekend sorting through everything (it's the easiest route to getting a backache...).
The cats desperately wanted to "help" by inspecting each and every bead but I firmly declined their kind offer of help.
No one told me but Nurses Week was May 6-12 so I set aside all of the necklaces, bracelets and earrings to use in 3 give-a-ways in the next few weeks-to thank the nursing staff (and say "good bye"). Everything else will be carted in for patients to use. It will, in effect, be Christmas in May & I am hoping everyone will considerate and share. In an effort to reach as many patients as possible (as the program draws to a possible close) I have been working in groups these past few weeks and things can get raucous when you have that many people creating in a small space.
P.S. I have never met the man that makes these generous donations but if ever I do get the chance I would thank him for making other people's lives better. I have a tiny materials budget that I arduously stretch with the use of coupons but these donations help to make the jewlery making aspect of this program what it is . And when patients ask where these beads come from and I tell them about this mysterious donor, patients are always touched that this anonymous person donates to their arts program. They seem to take it very, very personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment