Friday, June 5, 2009

Whatcha Doin'?


I have had many jobs. Sometimes several at the same time. Usually art is somehow involved. One of my favorite jobs has been working for an organization that places professional artists in area hospitals where we teach art to patients . The motive is to entertain, distract, involve, engage and enrich. I found out last week that funding for one of my hospitals had not (yet) been acquired and my last day of work would be the following week. A stinging blow . I began work on a card to thank and say good bye to the folks I had worked for and with. As I worked I listened  to NPR's Evening Music with David Garland. He happened to be asking listeners what they were doing as they were listening to the night's program and it made me feel like part of a community of listeners. I sat down at my computer and added my own activity to the list and found myself sitting by the small kitchen radio to hear my words read by David. It was kind of magical and it did take some of the sting away.  
To read more about what folks do as they listen , go here

No comments:

Post a Comment