Saturday, February 27, 2010

2010 Census






( The census is coming ! The census is coming! So I guess I have to work that into my blog somewhere : )


I have been noticing some interesting population shifts that the 2010 census folks might want to take into account. There has been a dramatic increase in the number of snowmen in my Queens New York area in the last few days. I do not know if these folks are here to stay or just passing through but their presence has been noticeable & one wonders what their impact will be on our area.
All of the snowmen I have personally met (most are pictured here) have been charming and delightful -reminiscent of similar folks I knew from my childhood growing up in Queens and snowy winters from long ago. I met the very last gentleman pictured with his "family" in Forest Park on Saturday. The nice young man with him told me his name was "Egbert"
(Census silliness aside I have to admit to loving these snowmen. As an artist I find them to be wonderful reminders of the universality of childhood creativity and any artist will tell you there is no better medium to make a sculpture out of than snow . I loved watching the collaboration between the generations as men got built and I couldn't help but notice the instantaneous joy I felt seeing snowmen throughout the neighborhood. They symbolize what I adore about winter & what snow meant to me as a child. To this day the news that snow is coming brings joy to my heart and I have to think this is at least in part due to the many happy experiences I had as a child . To me there has always been something magical about snowfall and snowmen are the winter equivalent of summers sandcastles-equally magical and here for but a moment in time...Thank you to all of the folks who made these guys. You made me incredibly happy! )

No comments:

Post a Comment